Dutch hunters traveling west from the Hudson Valley first settled the area in the 1600's. Here, they found a location on the banks of a river where, among other sources of food, there was an abundance of wild turkey. They marked this location on their maps as "Kollikoonkill," meaning "Wild Turkey Creek."
The area became a prime source for fresh-cut timber and the Delaware River served as a natural access to the populated coastal centers of the east. During the 1760's, timber rafting began, where tree trunks were lashed together and floated to sawmills downstream.
Then, in the 1840's the Erie Railroad opened up the area, laying tracks along the banks of the Delaware River to link the Great Lakes with the Eastern Seaboard. In honor of the centrally located railroad station, the townspeople renamed the town Callicoon Depot.
Although the hamlet dates back to the 1600's, very few buildings are older than 1888, a date etched in Callicoon history forever because of a devastating fire that nearly wiped out the entire Main Street. The resilient community immediately rebuilt, replacing every building by year's end.
Today, visitors and new residents are drawn to the pristine beauty of "Callicoon-on-the-Delaware" as they enjoy one of the last wilderness regions with a rich and colorful history.
READ MORE HISTORY >>>
Historic Walking Tour of Callicoon >>>